Media Moves: Winning Customers
presented by Nancy Shepherdson, NS Inc.
- Think about your customers
- What excites them? Low price? Tips for better living? Celebrities?
- Be conversational. Use “you” and “your” when you can
- What media can you use?
- Newspapers and newspaper web sites – call managing editors and send press releases; use detail, color, quotes
- Patch.com, DailyHerald.com and Tribune.com – you can supply your own stories; adapt your press release
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest. Short and sweet; what’s the main benefit for customers?
- Radio? TV? Radio and cable TV are surprisingly affordable today, and very targeted to customer groups
- 3. Make it Newsworthy
Biggest complaint of editors and reporters: all the press releases and emails they receive that could never be stories.
For example, your shipment of new designer pink pillows is not, by itself, a story, yet many stores send out a press release expecting one: “XYZ Store Celebrates Spring with Pink!”
Think about what would excite your customers: “Six ways to use pink pillows to add sparkle to your home.” Or “Pink pillow designer to Skype into XYZ store next week.”
- 4. Plan to excite customers for Expo
- What will draw your customers to your booth? Games for kids? For adults? Free samples? Think carefully about what your best customers will stop for.
- Create a timeline for sending out press releases and social media hits
- Tweet or post an offer every day the week before: Free pink pillow if you stop by our booth and tell us where you saw this offer. (Helps track effectiveness of your media.)
[sample press release]
For Immediate Release
Contact Nancy Shepherdson, 847-340-0262
Got Books? Donate Used Kids’ Books to Lake Zurich Rotary Literacy Program
If you have kids, you probably have books that they no longer want. Now Lake Zurich Rotary offers a place for you to donate those books and help needy children read better.
“We’re starting a local program to give children more opportunities to read,” said Lake Zurich Rotary president Nancy Shepherdson. “Studies show that children who read have a better chance to succeed in life and so we want to help them discover the joy of reading.”
People who want to donate books can bring them to Rotary booth at the Lake Zurich Area Chamber Expo on Saturday April 5 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Any amount of books will be welcome.
Book donations can also be made at R Professional Group, 535 Telser Rd., Lake Zurich, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. Or call 847-550-8631 to arrange for a pickup. You may also donate cash to purchase new books and educational materials. Donations to Lake Zurich Rotary are tax-deductible.